[texhax] Problem with scaling picture from PLTMG ...

Prof. Sudhir R. Ghorpade srg at math.iitb.ac.in
Mon Sep 8 19:56:35 CEST 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> > I have got a problem with scalling a file.ps in my Tex document. Not
> > \usepackage{psfig} neither \usepackage{graphics} do not solve my
> > problem.  It is a special picture from PLTMG (package fo solving
> > PDE's). It is no problem with scaling others ps figures, only with
> > one from PLTMG...  In attachments is picture from PLTMG.
>
> your attached figure isn't eps, which is what the graphics package
> deals with.  (see http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=eps)
>
> it converts to eps quite happily, for me, using the ghostscript
> utility ps2epsi; if you're using windoze, you'll find there's a
> reoutput-as-eps thing in one of gsview's menus.  i suggest you make a
> mental note to do that with any plot you get out of pltmg.
>
> robin

If I might add a small comment to the above suggestion,
I think the "display" utility from ImageMagick is a
wonderful tool to convert your image files in various
formats into an eps file. This seems to be built into
most of the linux installations and it suffices to use
"display filename" followed by a transformation to
crop your image in a box of desired size which you can
save in the desired format.