[texhax] Counter error appears from include and includeonly

W. Craig Carter ccarter at mit.edu
Fri Sep 5 13:50:23 CEST 2003

I have fairly deeply nested documents using \input, \include, and
\includeonly.

I have encountered a new error that I cannot resolve. I am hoping for
hints about where to look to solve this one.

I am using version:
 latex --version
TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159
kpathsea version 3.4.5

I get an error:

! LaTeX Error: No counter 'Item' defined.

even though there is no occurence of the word Item in my documents.

OK, so, I try to fix this by brute force by defining that counter:
\newcounder{Item}

Then it complains about another undefined counter:

! LaTeX Error: No counter 'Hfootnote' defined.

Alright, I will use another brute force: \newcounter{Hfootnote}

and then I get yet another identical error for the counter section at level

Finally if I define that one, then I finally get (not unexpected errors)
about defining counters that already exist.

I am stumped about where this error in creeping in... Any ideas?

WCC

W. Craig Carter
Lord Foundation Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
MIT, Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering 13-5018  77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 USA
617-253-6048  ccarter at mit.edu http://pruffle.mit.edu/~ccarter http://pruffle.mit.edu/~ccarter/I_do_not_use_microsoft.html