[texhax] aesthetically pleasing numerals

John jboy at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Oct 29 01:28:44 CET 2003

Dear TeX-supporters,

I have been trying to find this bit of information all over the place,
but I can't find this in any FAQ or reference book. Part of the problem
is that I don't even know what to look for. I'll do my best to explain.

I would like to use the typographically and aesthetically more pleasing
numbers in my documents, where e.g. the 0 looks like an ``o,'' the 1
looks like \textsc{i} and the 9 decends below the baseline. (This is a
typographical convention in _The Economist_, for example.)

Does anybody know which package needs to be loaded in order for (La)TeX
to use them instead the standard numbers, where every digit fills the
entire box, from baseline to top?

FYI, I usually just use plain Computer Modern fonts.

Your help is appreciated,
   -jb

--
John D. Boy         D05D 0CA0 BF33 CEF5 A2C0  058E FFBD 0673 858D FAE2
DUESSELDORF                      email  <mailto:jboy at sdf.lonestar.org>