[texhax] vertical rule in left margin, attached to text

Noble, Noelle nnoble at fhcrc.org
Mon Oct 20 16:35:05 CEST 2003

I feel like this should be a simple task, but I am not finding the answer. I
need to selectively insert a vertical line in the left margin of an article
class document (for a PHS 398 resubmission -- vertical rules indicating
where text has changed). \marginpar doesn't seem to want me to use it for
this purpose, and I would prefer to not turn paragraphs into tabular
environments, it did not appear to me that fancyhdr includes anything for
the left vertical margins, so I confess defeat and turn to the list.

This is an example of what I would need:

|    Reno Dakota there's not an iota of kindness in you
| You know you enthrall me and yet you don't call me
| It's making me blue
| Pantone 292 Reno Dakota
| I'm reaching my quota of tears for the year
  Alas and alack you just don't call me back
  You have just disappeared
  It makes me drink beer
  I know you're a recluse You know that's no excuse
| Reno that's just a ruse
| Do not play fast and loose with my heart
  Reno Dakota I'm no Nino Rota
  I don't know the score

Thanks in advance for any help.

Noelle Noble