[texhax] inconsistency between pdftex and tex

Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP] P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Oct 20 17:51:33 CEST 2003

Ian Collier wrote:

[snip]

> Personally I think that this `extension' defies neither the
> spirit nor the letter of the law and I am somewhat curious
> as to why this exercises you so much given that you aren't
> actually the trademark holder and also (I'm guessing) that
> this difference has almost certainly never affected your use
> of TeX and probably never will.

Because I believe, very strongly, that we TeX users
have a /duty/ to respect Knuth's position on the
naming of TeX.

> Knuth says nothing about what format TeX loads when you start
> it up

/TeX: The Program/, section 1331 : [On systems that allow such
preloading, ] [T]he standard program called TeX should be the
one that has plain format preloaded, since that agrees with
/The TeXbook/.

Philip Taylor