[texhax] latex vs. pdflatex

Brett W. McCoy bmccoy at chapelperilous.net
Wed Oct 15 19:29:44 CEST 2003

Karl Berry wrote:

> That said, if you absolutely must pick one or the other, I would pick
> pdftex, except in the unlikely event that you care about non-PostScript
> output.  The reason is that pdf can be converted to PS with (I believe)
> no loss of information, while going from DVI to PDF via dvipdfm or
> ps2pdf can introduce quality degradation and font issues far more
> troublesome than the original .sty ones.  In my experience, anyway.

Oh, BTW, folks, on the topic of PDF & PostScript, gv, the X11
GhostScript viewer, now has a new home:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnu-gv/

If you are a developer amnd want to join, send me a note about what
you'd like to help out with and I'll add you as a developer.  There is
nothing in CVS yet but I have started working on converting the build to
autoconf/automake.

-- Brett
                                           http://www.chapelperilous.net/