[texhax] latex vs. pdflatex

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Thu Oct 16 00:31:57 CEST 2003

> As a sys admin I have to maintain a latex environment for researchers.
> The problem is, my users are using both latex and pdflatex, and I want
> to standardize on just one. In my experience, there are subtle
> differences and it is difficult to use the same .sty files for both
> environments. Does anybody have advice on which one I should pick, or
> if there is a good reason to provide both? If the world is moving
> toward one of them, I would like to be in the majority.

I really don't get the point - you should provide everything and the users
have the choice - that's the idea of such a system - MiKTeX, or whatever,
lets you have the lot.  Or, to put it another way, if you standardised on
one, I, as a user, would be really, really pissed off if I needed the other!
That said, I have total MiKTeX on my laptop, so I don't ever depend on the
whims of system managers.

Cheers,  Philip G. Ratcliffe