[texhax] \begin{...}...\end{...} VS. its shorthands

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 16 12:44:22 CEST 2003

> Using \begin{...}...\end{...} kills our time.

in trivial amounts.  selecting a font "kills" a heck of a lot more.

> Is there any best way to save the time?

not reliably.  some environments can be abbreviated to their initial
and final commands, but far too many won't work in that form for the
shorthand to be worth trying.

of course, if you have read the sources of latex, and of any packages
you are using, carefully enough, you will know which environment can
be abbreviated and which can't.  you plainly haven't done that, and i
don't particularly recommend it as a way of saving time.  (i've been
at it since 1987...)