[texhax] do British LaTeX macros exist?

Sam Halliday fommil at yahoo.ie
Sat Jun 14 20:28:04 CEST 2003

Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> > i would like to be able to use British-spelt LaTeX macros instead of
> > the American english ones, e.g.
> >
> >  \begin{itemise} -> \begin{itemize}
> >  \begin{centre}  -> \begin{center}
> >
> > and many more i can't even think of. has anyone written such a set
> > of macros, or must i define them myself?
>
> there are none that i can think of; and i can't bring myself to
> believe that this is important (even though the control of latex is
> entirely european nowadays).  i understand that context has control
> even of the names of primitives according to which language you're
> using

perhaps i worded my question incorrectly... i am not looking for British
english macros, but rather wrappers for the (commonly American) macros
which already exist.

i mean for example that i can define an environment "centre" to just
call the "center" environment; and from then on, i would use
\begin{centre} as opposed to calling \begin{center} directly. i'm
terrible at having to remember the american spelling of things (even
though the translation is often s->z and re->er) and i would really just
like to have to worry about writing in one languauge.

there is really only a very small difference between the british and
american dictionary, and in the context of LaTeX macros... i can really
only think of a few, so i may just write them myself. i just thought i'd
ask first, incase i was re-inventing the wheel. i had imagined that
maybe every localisation had taken it upon themsleves to write such
wrappers (i could steal the "centre" one from the french locale in that
case! ;-)).

\ende{dokument} and all that...

thanks anyway!
Sam
--
We can defeat gravity. The problem is the paperwork involved.