[texhax] Equations ...

Herbert Gintis hgintis at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 12:17:11 CEST 2003

At 03:38 PM 7/14/2003 +0100, Harish S. Bhanderi wrote:
>Hi Manoj and Herbet,
>
>Many thanks for your email. I apologies for not being explicit about the
>problem and so I don't want to reset any counters in Appendix or anything
>like that. The problem is:
>
>I have written an equation in the introduction. In the dvi output, it is
>numbered 1.64, say. Now in the appendix, I want to refresh the reader's
>mind and rewrite the same equation. As it not a new equation, I wanted it
>numbered 1.64 rather than A-73, say. I have seen this sort of thing done
>in books but I don't know how to do it. Please advise.
         This will do it, but you should add stuff to restore the equation
numbering in the Appendix, if necessary, and you may want to use some of
the stuff from my previous email if you want numbers like (1.64).

Herb

\section{Introduction}

\edef\aeqb{\theequation}
\begin{equation}
A = B
\end{equation}

\section{New Section}

\begin{equation}
A = B
\end{equation}

Later on...

\section{Appendix}
\setcounter{equation}{\aeqb}
\begin{equation}
A = B
\end{equation}

Herbert Gintis
Emeritus Professor of Economics, University of
Massachusetts
External Faculty, Santa Fe Institute, Santa Fe, NM
15 Forbes Avenue, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-7756  (Home Office) 206-984-9873 (Fax)
Recent papers are posted on my <http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>web site.
Get Game Theory Evolving (Princeton, 2000) at
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691009430/qid=1057311870/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8882889-4632849?v=glance&s=books>Amazon.com.
Please Note: New Email Address is hgintis at comcast.net