[texhax] Equations ...

Herbert Gintis hgintis at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 11:22:02 CEST 2003

At 12:10 PM 7/14/2003 +0100, Harish S. Bhanderi wrote:
>Hi
>
>I've been looking for a latex-help message board but haven't found one.
>Please could you direct me to such a website. I have the following
>problem:
>
>I would like to rewrite an equation later on in a document, for example in
>an appendix. However, I want to use the same number as when it was first
>written. For example, when first written the equation appears as 1.1 in
>the .dvi file, I would like the equation in the appendix to have the same
>number i.e 1.1 rather than A-1. But I don't know how to do it. Any ideas?
>
>Many thanks in advance.
>
>Harish Bhanderi
         I don't know how you produce (1.1), but here's one way, and one
way to repeat it later:

----------------------
\makeatletter
\def\@eqnnum{{\normalfont \normalcolor (\thesection.\theequation)}}
\makeatother
\def\mysection#1{\setcounter{equation}{0}\section{#1}}
\begin{document}

\mysection{Introduction}

\begin{equation}
A = B
\end{equation}

\mysection{New Section}

\begin{equation}
A = B
\end{equation}

Later on...

\mysection{Appendix}
\setcounter{section}{1}
\begin{equation}
A = B
\end{equation}
----------------------------------

Herbert Gintis
Emeritus Professor of Economics, University of
Massachusetts
External Faculty, Santa Fe Institute, Santa Fe, NM
15 Forbes Avenue, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-7756  (Home Office) 206-984-9873 (Fax)
Recent papers are posted on my <http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>web site.
Get Game Theory Evolving (Princeton, 2000) at
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691009430/qid=1057311870/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8882889-4632849?v=glance&s=books>Amazon.com.
Please Note: New Email Address is hgintis at comcast.net