[texhax] Re: Sketch and other image programs

Pierre MacKay mackay at cs.washington.edu
Wed Jul 9 15:55:18 CEST 2003

Sketch sounds interesting, but seems to be focused on creating new
drawings.  What I use Illustrator for is to take existing drawings and
break them out into layers.  For example, I have broken a map down into
1. Land and water
2. Contour lines
3. Street plan
4. City walls
5. Historic buildings
6. Street names
7. Other legends
8. Hidden guide lines
9. Scales

All of these discrete layers are derived from the original scan by
erasure, rather than drawing.  I don't know of any tool but illustrator
that would help me do that.  But I admit that it has not been easy to
learn, and Microsoft's abysmal mouse drivers don't make it any easier.

I have even had to fall back from time to time on Streamline.  Now there
is a program that raises "counterintuitive" to new heights.

Regards,

Pierre