[texhax] TexLive2003

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 28 14:44:50 CET 2003

> > > I am trying to run a file under the windows installation and I get
> > > F:\spystories>tex sample2e.tex
> > > warning: Could not open char translation file `cp8bit.tcx'.
> > > This is TeXk, Version 3.141592 (Web2c 7.5.2)
> > >  %&-line parsing enabled.
> > > (./sample2e.tex
> > > ! Undefined control sequence.
> > > l.6 \documentclass
> > >                   {article}      % Specifies the document class
> > > ?
> >
> > sample2e.tex is a sample latex file: process it with latex.
> >
> > > Also when I try to view a dvi via windvi the progran dies as soon as
> > > i select the file to view.
> >
> > what files?  if you select the sample2e.dvi you will create (as
> > above), do you still have a problem?
>
> thank you for the assist.
> Yes I have tried running the file w/latex and the same thing.
> The problem persists.
> I experienced no problems during installation.
> The viewer dies on select/open.

you should understand i don't actually use tex live under widnoze, so
further detailed support isn't available from me.  (hence posting back
to texhax.)

if you really have a latex from texlive that _doesn't_ define
\documentclass, i'm flummoxed.  the same diagnostic, really?

the reason for saying, test windvi with the .dvi output from the latex
run was to eliminate other possibilities.  wait to test that until
you've run latex on sample2e.