[texdoc] TeXdoc bug/feature request

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Apr 24 00:14:49 CEST 2018

On 2018-04-23 at 14:17:54 +0200, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

 > I noticed that apparently TeXdoc's settings for viewers are
 > disregarded if the system as xdg-open (or something to that
 > effect).  Is it possible to make TeXdoc use any given pdf viewer
 > without changing system-wide settings?  If not, could you make this
 > possible?  I'm using TeXlive 2017.

Dear Marcin,
when I run

  texdoc --files

I get

  Recommended file(s) for personal settings:
      /home/reinhard/texmf/texdoc/texdoc.cnf

This file should only contain things you want to change.

The manual page says

   FILES
          <texmf>/texdoc/texdoc.cnf, see output of the --files option.

Unless you added additional trees to texmf.cnf, <texmf> is either
TEXMFLOCAL or TEXMFHOME.

The built-in rules are used by default.  A system administrator can
overwrite default settings system-wide in TEXMFLOCAL and mortal users
can overwrite everything in TEXMFHOME.

Users can also set environment variables but this can cause more
problems than it solves.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25