[texdoc] TeXdoc bug/feature request

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Apr 23 23:42:34 CEST 2018

Hi Marcin,

    if the system as xdg-open

I'm not sure what you mean.

    to make TeXdoc use any given pdf viewer without changing system-wide
    settings?

Yes. You can create a config file $TLTREE/texdoc/texdoc.cnf for any
$TLTREE included in $TEXMF.  For example, I created
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/texdoc/texdoc.cnf

as the one line:
viewer_pdf = xpf

where "xpf" is my personal PDF viewer (a little script frontend to xpdf;
of course I can never use anything as distributed :) .

If you run texdoc -f, it will show you a list of active configuration
files (and recommend the $TEXMFHOME path for personal settings).

Alternative, you can forget config files and just set the envvar
PDFVIEWER_texdoc to whatever you want. I think that should suffice.
(Or PDFVIEWER, if you possibly want to affect other programs, though I
have no knowledge of what else specifically pays attention to PDFVIEWER.)

texdoc --help and texdoc texdoc discuss (much) further, FWIW.

Let us know if no joy ... happy viewing, karl.