[texdoc] texdoc vntex

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Mar 14 21:28:38 CET 2010

On Mar 14, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> On 14 March 2010 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
>
>> Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :

>>> $ texdoc -s hyperref
>>> 1 /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/hyperref/manual.pdf
>>> 2 /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/hyperref/hyperref.pdf
>>>
>>> I think that hyperref.pdf should come first because this is the
>>> file containing the links to all the other files.
>>>
>> It used to come first, but regularly I got requests to make
>> manual.pdf come first...
>
> Sure, it saves them one mouse click.

No, it saves a lot of frustration.  I didn't request this change, but I'm thankful for it.

Speaking for myself, I actually didn't notice that there were links to other files in hyperref.pdf, likely because I immediately searched the PDF or scrolled to the table of contents to try and find package options.  Reading the "Package options and setup" section of hyperref.pdf was completely unhelpful.

> But it prevents others from
> getting the whole stuff by default.  I don't think the alias is a good
> idea.  It makes Heiko's efforts (providing an "umbrella document")
> useless.

If the user-level documentation were in hyperref.pdf, or if it were only links, I'd agree.  As-is, though, I think the umbrella document is worse than useless for users who are looking for package options (which I think is a common case).  I know there are other lusers like me who had problems with this…

> If in doubt, ask Heiko.

Do not ever rely on a developer's idea of documentation or software usability :).

--
Adam