[texdoc] [tex-live] Desktop environment and texdoc viewers

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Jan 6 15:33:17 CET 2010

Hi Johannes,

> > texdoc debug-view: View comand: (see "/usr/share/texmf-
> > texlive/doc/texlive/texlive-en/texlive-en.pdf") &
> >
> It looks like you installed texdoc from Debian packages. Here, the detection
> mechanism is overridden by a directive in the configuration file setting the
> viewer to 'see', as it is the standard command for opening documents in Debian.

Absolutely right, because this is the way to get zipped support and
the correct treatment using the mime types database.

> No, 'see' is used. Look at its man page for how to configure it.

see uses whatever is the preferred mime type application, please see
the man pages of
	update-mime
and
	mailcap.order
how to configure that.

My mailcap.order for examples contains:
	evince:*/*
because I want to use evince for all viewing it supports.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force