[texdoc] texdoc update

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Nov 24 21:21:52 CET 2009

Hi all,

I just pushed to TeX Live a new major version of texdoc (0.60). The two
main new points, described in section 2 of the manual, are:

- The alias directive now /adds/ patterns instead of making
  substitutions, so that an alias will add results and make them go
  to the top of the list, but no more "hide" other results.
- There is a new scoring system, parts of which are configurable, and
  with improved heuristics fixing many wishes that had been done.

Generally, this new version tends to list more results than before.
However, some results are more severely filtered out, so I think (hope)
that overall the results listed are the relevant ones and only them,
more often than before.

The whole scoring stuff is quite new and may change if needed.
Suggestions are most welcome, either on scoring directives to add in the
default configuration, or on the logic of scoring itself, the heuristic
scoring functions, etc.

The next big thing planned in texdoc is using (meta-)information from
the TeX Live database (CTAN catalogue). Development version already
includes code for reading and using some information, in case you want
to check it out.

Manuel.