[texdoc] TeXdoc : could it do more ?

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Mar 13 15:23:25 CET 2009

The reason for the question (to which the answer
is trivially "yes") is a conversation with David
Carlisle today, during which David told me that
"fix2col.sty" was obsolete and that I should be
using "fixltx2e" instead.  Now I have not known
of TeXdoc for very long (in fact, not until
I started using TeX Live 2008), but it is clearly
a very useful tool and one on which I have come
to rely.  So I would very much like to have been
told, on entering "TeXdoc fix2ltx", that "fix2ltx"
is obsolete, and that I should consider migrating
to "fixltx2e" instead.  Would there be any interest
in making TeXdoc more table-driven, such that
concepts such as "deprecated", "obsolescent",
"obsolete, replaced by" and so on could be added
to the database ?

Philip TAYLOR