[texdoc] running from svn

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Sep 24 02:13:56 CEST 2008

    PS : so ~/.texdoc.cnf whould have the greatest priority, right?

Right.

    The idea being that the TEXMFHOME can be used for local updates on
    systems you're using w/o admin privileges (that's the first use I
    made of it, personally) (or don't want to make them globally),

Right.

    but a file lying directly in your home is something really personal.

Precisely.  And then we can even document "here is how to run from svn" :).

    I fear having two different files for the same purpose (namely
    ~/.texdoc.cnf and the present file) can be a source of confusion
    hence possibly problems.

We already look for a zillion (approximately :) texdoc.cnf files.  Maybe
each one theoretically serves a specific purpose, but I doubt most
casual users see this, even those reading the documentation.  I can't
see that adding one more is going to cause any serious confusion.

Thanks,
karl