[texdoc] option names and verbosity

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Dec 2 13:02:47 CET 2008

Karl Berry a écrit :
> Perhaps running with maximum verbosity should tell you where the value
> came from (environment or the full texdoc.cnf).

Yep, I think so, but I have to change the code a little bit in order to
keep track of this. Added on the todo-list.

> I also find -n very
> unintuitive (vs. -v), but we already discussed that.

Maybe I can add -the -v syntax. Juste one question: should I use -V for
version and -v for verbose, or the other way roud? (I mean is there some
sort of standard, guideline or common pratcice?)

> Also, I think -f could go away and just be included in the normal -v, I
> mean -n, output.  It's just reporting the config files it looks for.
> Sounds like normal verbose output to me.

Well, the idea was to help users wanting to create there own config file
 but hesitating about where to put it (in my experience, most users are
a bit confused with things like TEXMFHOME the first time they see it).
Actually, this is an option I thought of while writing the manual.

Probably -v should include the output of -f, but I still think a
separate -f will be less disturbing for some users than picking the
relevant output out of severla line of so-called "debug" messages.

Manuel.