[tex4ht] Recent updates

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Apr 17 18:29:49 CEST 2017

    >> No official release of tex4ht has been made since Eitan Gurari, the
    >> original author, passed away.  When the release is finally made (there
    >> is no ETA at present), it will be available here.

    Maybe we should at least change that message,

Ok, I'll ask CTAN to update the README to the text below.
Let me know if you think more should be said.
(Or if the web page could use tweaking.)

    if we can't update the tex4ht_all.zip on CTAN. This file is quite
    messy, by the way :(

Indeed, the messiness is part of the problem with updating it. Eitan
never had a comprehensible (at least to me) release process. But we can
deal with that.

The other, much bigger, part of the release problem is that when I diff
what we currently generate from the sources vs. what is currently
installed in TL, there are many differences. It does not seem right to
just blindly install every changed file and hope for the best.

Reviewing all the changes is a big job. If those of us who are willing
can try to look at a file or two each day, and update TL as we go along,
eventually we will come to the end and have a known quantity that we can
release and maintain. I put some diff targets in the Makefile as a start
on that path ...

Eitan's documentation (mn.html etc.) needs similar attention :(.

Thanks,
Karl