[tex4ht] [bug #340] Math issues in the ODF export

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 09:57:07 CET 2016

Follow-up Comment #3, bug #340 (project tex4ht):

Thanks Karl. The html+mathml produced from the sample document are valid. I
can't find functional ODF validator, the online one [1] gives me "Internal
server error". I've tried to validate the mathml files included in the ODF can
be validated in the HTML validator. It failed because of math: prefix, when I
removed it, then they passed as valid. LibreOffice don't open the mathml files
without namespace, so this shouldn't be an issue. So I guess this really is a
bug in LibreOffice .

I've also figured out substance of another issue, which I found earlier, but
didn't understand. Word can open ODT files, but it cannot display the math
from tex4ht by default. But when you open the ODT file in LibreOffice and save
it, then it can be read. It seems that LO converts the mathml to its's own
format called StarMath, which can be then edited in LO's equation editor. Word
seems to understand only the StarMath, so it can read the math in ODT files
only after it is added by LO.

I can't find much information about StarMath. There is an element reference
[1] and it seems that it is based on Troff's Eqn format [3]. I can't find
Mathml to StartMath nor Eqn convertor, so we probably need to rely on LO's
Mathml support, or write custom Mathml to StarMath converter.

BTW, I've created  simple DOM library for LuaXML, next version of Make4ht will
provide Lua filters based on it, in addition to regular expression filters. It
can do some really funny stuff.

[1] https://odf-validator.rhcloud.com/
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/2/26/MG44-MathGuide.pdf
[3] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/eqn.1.html