[tex4ht] erorr code 256, possible perl error code, come up with using --lua option with make4ht, error --- Improper dvi file

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Sun Dec 6 23:55:04 CET 2015

On 12/6/2015 4:18 PM, William F Hammond wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma at 12000.org> wrote:
>
>> I found one way to reproduce the error very easily by making
>> one change in the Matlab code in the listing inside the Latex
>> file. So this seems to be an encoding issue.
>>

> Do you mean an issue with the text encoding in input files?
>
> If so, I would point out that all of the *.tex and *.sty look ASCII to me
> except for mcode.sty (the copy I found online), which introduces § (U+00A7)
> as "math escape" (a matlab thing, I guess).  The mcode.sty I found online
> is Latin-1 encoded.  I did check that (with make4ht -lua) changing
> mcode.sty to UTF-8 did not seem to provide a fix.  But I haven't tried to
> understand how the matlab stuff is imported or find where the mcode math
> escape might be used.
>
>                -- Bill

The simplified version of KERNEL.tex, does not use mcode.sty now.

Here it is again:

-----------------------------
\documentclass[]{report}%
\usepackage{ae,aecompl}%conflict here !
\usepackage{listings}
\begin{document}
\lstset{numbers=none}
\begin{lstlisting}
    ... matlab code...
\end{lstlisting}
\end{document}
-----------------------------

The Matlab code is just plain tex, copied and pasted inside
the latex file. It has no strange characters. all plain text.

http://12000.org/tmp/103115/

The invalid dvi file is generated only when using \usepackage{ae,aecompl}
and --lua option at the same time using this command:

make4ht -u --lua -c ./nma.cfg -e ./main.mk4 KERNEL.tex

Also when using dvilualatex command directly as per last mail
I send to the mailing list.

It is strange, that making some random changes to the Matlab
listing code, can remove the problem or bring it back as I mentioned
before.

regards,