[tex4ht] Why is tex4ht losing the image colors from dvi and idv files?

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Thu Feb 12 00:20:03 CET 2015

According to  http://www.cvr.cc/?p=297

"x.idv: This is a dvi file extracted from x.dvi,
and it contains the images needed in the HTML files."

I am trying to make 3D pst pictures work with tex4ht.
Finally got it working, except the colors in the images are
all gone from the dvi file when using tex4ht, but the colors
are there when using latex command.

ie. I have foo.tex file and I do

-------------------
latex foo.tex
dvisvgm -n  -p 2  -c 1.2,1.2 -s  foo.dvi > foo.svg
------------------

and foo.svg has colors. Now I do

-----------------
htlatex foo.tex
dvisvgm -n  -p 2  -c 1.2,1.2 -s  foo.dvi > foo.svg
------------------

and now the colors are gone. Same if I do
dvisvgm -n  -p 2  -c 1.2,1.2 -s  foo.idv > foo.svg

no colors. So the colors are in the DVI file, when running
them by latex, but not in the DVI file when generated by tex4ht.

I thought tex4ht uses latex? so when there is a difference here?

I'll show a MWE, and the command used so you can create
this on your end:

----------------------------------
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{pst-solides3d}
\begin{document}
\begin{pspicture}(-2,-2)(3,3)
\psset{viewpoint=100 30 20,Decran=100}
\psSolid[object=cube,a=2,
     action=draw*,
     fillcolor=magenta!20]
\axesIIID[showOrigin=false](1,1,1)(3,2,2.5)
\end{pspicture}
\end{document}

ps. if you need to compile to pdf, the command is
xelatex foo.tex

any ideas why the colors are missing from the dvi (and hence the idv)
files generated by tex4ht?

Using t4ht.c (2012-07-25-19:28 kpathsea)  on Linux

If you need any more information, please let me know.

thanks