[tex4ht] TeX4ht upgrading: doesn't work

celano celano at laposte.net
Tue Mar 19 05:24:40 CET 2013

Hello

here are the instructions to upgrade tex4ht (http://tug.org/applications/tex4ht/mn-upgrade.html).
It would seem quite easy, but doesn't work on my debian wheezy (testing) with TexLive2012 computer.

I follow every step and at point 6 (replace /usr/bin/tex4ht and /usr/bin/t4ht
with the new scripts downloaded on the website), the compilation fails.

Here is the message shown:
  >  Transcript written on test.log.
>  ----------------------------
>  tex4ht.c (2007-04-21-21:07 kpathsea)
>  tex4ht -f/test
>    -i/usr/share/texmf/tex4ht/ht-fonts/
>  --- warning --- Can't find/open file `tex4ht.env | .tex4ht'
>  --- error --- Illegal storage address
>  ----------------------------
>  t4ht.c (2007-01-05-03:17 kpathsea)
>  t4ht -f/test
>  (/usr/share/texmf/tex4ht/tex4ht.env)
>  Entering test.lg
>  System call: dvipng -T tight -x 1400 -D 72 -bg Transparent -pp 1:1
>  test.idv -o test0x.png
>  This is dvipng 1.14 Copyright 2002-2010 Jan-Ake Larsson
>
>  dvipng: Fatal error, DVI file ends prematurely
>
>  --- Warning --- System return: 512
>  Entering test.css
>  Entering test.tmp

I tryed for a while to understand, but I didn't. Have you any idea?
Replacing the script t4ht works fine. Indeed, it doesn't work replacing tex4ht.

Thanks
Celano