[tex4ht] htxelatex support for unicode and multiple scripts

Alexandre Roberts alexandre.roberts at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:21:53 CET 2013

Thank you! From my perspective, this is nothing short of miraculous, and I
wish I had consulted you back when I converted my article to .doc format!
It would have saved me much work and countless errors.

Based on what you have sent me, I have been able to convert longer
documents. This convinces me that I will be able to compose in the TeX
world and still speak to the Word world. I only have a few small questions
as to how I can develop a workflow which smooths out this communication
even further.

*Current workflow*
1. paste all tex into word.converter.tex
2. run CVR’s perl script: perl utf2ent.pl word.converter.tex >
word.converter-ent.tex
3. run SimpleTeX4ht (ODT option) on word.converter-ent.tex
4. biber word.converter-ent
5. run SimpleTeX4ht (ODT option) on word.converter-ent.tex (again)
6. open word.converter-ent.odt in OpenOffice
7. Save As *word.converter-ent.doc*, which is the final result

*Remaining issue*

Unicode in my BibTeX entries: while Unicode in my main text and footnotes
now shows up perfectly, the Unicode characters in my BibTeX entries still
don't make it through. (step 4) Is there a way to get this Unicode to make
it as well without modifying my .bib file?

*Two additional minor issues of convenience*

1. Since my goal is to produce Word documents from my tex source, I would
like tex4ht to produce ODT documents rather than HTML. Right now I have
managed to do this with SimpleTeX4ht (steps 3 and 5); is there a simpler
way to do this from the command-line using htlatex?

2. Is there a way to automate step 1? I am writing various sections of my
chapter in different tex files and then use \input{} in the tex file which
I compile. I imagine it must be straightforward to have the perl script
begin by replacing each "\input{file}" with the contents of "file.tex" in
the output, but I don't know how to do that.

I would again be most grateful for your help on this matter as well. I have
attached a sample of what my ordinary xelatex output looks like
(sample-xelatex.pdf), as well as the same code converted to Word format
using my revision of your workflow (word.converter-ent.x). I also included
a bib file with the entries I cite in my sample (mn.bib).

Best wishes,
Alex