[tex4ht] Issue with superscripts in titles with htlatex and biblatex

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Sat Jan 26 03:12:43 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:17 AM, Danny Baillie <danny.baillie at otago.ac.nz>wrote:

> "Orphan" superscripts (e.g. $^{87}$) in titles of journal articles are
> incorrectly displayed as subscripts with htlatex using biblatex. Orphan
> superscripts are common for mass numbers in chemical formulae. If there is
> also an orphan subscript (e.g. $_{37}^{87}$ for an atomic number) then they
> are both shown as subscripts. This doesn't bother me at all, but I thought
> you might like to know. Here is a MWE:

\textsuperscript{87}Rb works fine in htlatex+biblatex combination. However,
if you have both subscript and superscript, htlatex will fail. You need to
generate MathML for mass/atomic numbers of the element, if not spacial
position will not be as you have expected. The following form works fine:

  @article{ref, Title = {A {${}\sb{10}\sp{87}{\mathrm{Rb}}$} Bose
condensate}}

and will generate following output:

       <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"
        display="inline">
          <msubsup>
            <mrow></mrow>
            <mrow>
              <mn>1</mn>
              <mn>0</mn>
            </mrow>
            <mrow>
              <mn>8</mn>
              <mn>7</mn>
            </mrow>
          </msubsup>
          <mstyle mathvariant="normal">
            <mi>R</mi>
            <mi>b</mi>
          </mstyle>
        </math>Bose condensate”.

Firefox renders correctly. In short, mzlatex+biblatex with modified input
will work OK.

Best regards
--
Radhakrishnan