[tex4ht] How to output page numbers using TeX4ht?

Herbert Sitz hesitz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 21:17:50 CET 2011

I'm using TeX4ht to make html versions of documents that are also processed to
pdf. The html is further processed to epub, so there three versions (1) pdf, (2)
html, and (3) epub.  I would like for viewers of html and epub versions to be
able to correlate their texts with the page number on the "master" pdf document.

TeX4ht somehow bypasses the LaTeX header and footer, and no page numbers are put
into the html generated by TeX4ht.  Is there some way I can set things up so
that the html I get from TeX4ht has a page number code (e.g., "[*1]", "[*2]",
etc.) inserted into the html output immediately after each page break in the
DVI/PDF document?

Thanks,

Herb Sitz