[tex4ht] dvilualatex and tex4ht

Johannes Wilm mail at johanneswilm.org
Fri Jul 22 18:15:34 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> Right, LaTeX people are very anti-ebooks. F.e. hyperref (and similar)
> or  cooltooltips (etc) packages having very little if any value for a
> print production.
>
> BTW, I do not see anything elitist in the position of K.B. or even of
> the author of that post - but IMHO, your "holier than you" approach
> has an elitist' flavour.

Sorry, I got carried away. I know this list is not the place for  such
discussions. I thought Mr. Berry's note on his blog was a clear answer to my
previous email. Basically it says that ebooks should e boycotted until Mr.
Stallman has made some kind of deal with the commercial company Amazon
because you guys have some kind of issue in the US with them. "Boycotting
them" would effectively mean to make sure that any LaTeX -> epub conversion
will be impossible.

Of course anyone is allowed to have their opinion, and this email list is
not the place to discuss them. Given that I wrongfully had started the
discussion anyway,  thought it made sense sense to show you that my usecase
certainly has nothing to do with controlling people's usage of books. In
fact if you had googled me, you'd realize that I was involved in the
liberation of the Chinese Onyx Boox ( http://www.booxusers.com ) precisely
to make people be able to control their own ebooks completely.

It may be that laTeX at one time was a mathematics-only thing, but in Oslo,
Norway we working with anthropology certainly found it quite helpful as
well. The microtyping, biblatex and indexing are something that are very
useful to the humanities as well.

Sorry again, I will not bring this subject up here again.

--
Johannes Wilm
http://www.johanneswilm.org