[tex4ht] usage with pdftex

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 00:35:40 CEST 2010

I have read all the documentation I can find on tex4ht and its various
commands, but can find very few actual examples that can help me with a
simple task:
  I have a plain TeX file that compiles perfectly with pdfTeX. I *think*
that means that it should be possible to run some form of tex4ht on the
file successfully (one prior poster here said "I am using pdfTeX", so I
think/hope that there's some way to use pdfTeX with tex4ht), but I have not
been able to get anything to work :-(

I started with "ht pdftex bk7.tex":

(the man page says:
  ht is a small shell script that is used to run the tex4ht programs.  It
has two compulsory arguments, as follows:

      1.     The TeX command name to run, usually either tex or latex.
      2.     The input file name (with or without extension).
)

but after some processing I got:
tex4ht.c (2009-01-31-07:33 kpathsea)
tex4ht bk7.tex
--- warning --- Can't find/open file `bk7.dvi'
--- error --- Can't find/open file `bk7.dvi'

-----

I tried lots of other things too, but I won't bore you with them all
(although perhaps they might provide amusement). I did manage at one point
to create a file with the name "bk7.html", but it wasn't a valid HTML file.
Anyway, it finally became obvious that without an example I was never going
to get a real HTML file.

So here I am, asking either for pointers to examples that work with pdfTeX
or a simple "here's the command line you need" :-)

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR