[tex4ht] htlatex bug

Jeremy M Orloff jorloff at mit.edu
Sat Jul 3 23:32:41 CEST 2010

Using htlatex the  tex file (11 lines) reproduced below does not correctly use the definition
\def\e#1{e^#1}
or the new command
\newcommand{\f}[1]{f^{#1}}

It fails to use superscripts.  The html file (not attached) sizes everything
correctly but doesn't add the <sup> tag in the correct spot.

The htlatex command used was
htlatex t1.tex

The first line on the screen after running the command is
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.1415926-1.40.9 (Web2C 7.5.7).

My system mac os X 10.5.8.
My tex installation is texlive 2008.

This is the first time I've used htlatex, so I'm sorry if this has been fixed in
a later version or if it's just a usage error on my part.

Here's the tex file:
\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\def\e#1{e^#1}
\newcommand{\f}[1]{f^{#1}}