[tex-live] Removal of British hyphenation patterns from TeX Live

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 13:10:49 CET 2018

Dear Dominik,

According to Debian we will probably have to delete the British
hyphenation patterns from TeX Live unless the licence changes. See:

In general it is becoming increasingly problematic to use custom
(free-text) licences for each individual file. (It's problematic
enough to keep up distributions of millions of different files with
well-established licences, let alone having each individual lawyer
check whether the licence in file X is compatible with the licence in
file Y for N^2 combinations of those and ever increasing N.)

A while ago we started suggesting the pattern authors to agree with
the MIT licence, but some other licences might be acceptable as well
(note that LPPL in particular is not acceptable for a number of
projects).

Best regards,
    Mojca