[tex-live] Announce: TeX Live on AWS Lambda

Sam O'Connor sam at octech.com.au
Sat Mar 31 06:30:31 CEST 2018

Hi Tex-Live mailing list,

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this.

My client has a web application that uses LaTeX to produce .PDF documents on-demand.
We’re using AWS Lambda https://aws.amazon.com/lambda <https://aws.amazon.com/lambda> to host the PDF generation code so that we can scale to an arbitrary number of simultaneous users without having to manage servers.

The main problem to overcome is that AWS Lambda is restricted to a 50MB .ZIP deployment archive, so a normal TeX Live installation won’t fit.

To solve this problem I’ve built a Dockerfile that:
 - installs a minimal subset of TeX Live,
 - installs a configurable list of required packages,
 - deletes unneeded large files (e.g. doc pdfs) and
 - creates a .ZIP archive suitable for deployment to AWS Lambda.

The result is an AWS Lambda function that takes a base64 encoded .ZIP file containing .tex files (and images etc) and returns a base64 encoded .PDF file.

The Dockerfile and AWS Lambda deployment scripts are available here: https://github.com/samoconnor/lambdalatex

I hope it is useful to someone!

Cheers,

Sam O'Connor