[tex-live] Making lua modules findable

Ralf Meyer rmeyer2 at uni-goettingen.de
Fri Jan 5 12:28:32 CET 2018

Dear texlive developers,

with luatex it becomes possible to embed lua modules in luatex
documents.  Many such modules are listed at luarocks.org, and quite a
few can be useful in luatex.  For normal users, this is too complicated
in texlive 2017 because of search path differences.  I suggest to change
the configuration of kpathsea in a new release of texlive so that luatex
searches lua modules also in the standard folders for lua modules.  This
is currently not the case, which creates an extra hurdle to use
general-purpose lua modules in luatex documents.  On my ubuntu system,
luarocks installs modules in /usr/local/share/lua and
/usr/local/lib/lua. And lua -e "print(package.path)" and lua -e
"print(package.cpath)" shows several more paths.  Or maybe you know an
even better way to make lua modules in these folders findable by luatex
as automatically as possible.

Yours,

Ralf Meyer