[tex-live] texlive 2018 doesn't work on redhat/centos 6

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Apr 9 22:57:20 CEST 2018

On 2018-04-09 at 10:56:09 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > On 9 April 2018 at 10:47, Johannes Hielscher wrote:
 > >
 > > Not happy about recommending de-facto deprecated versions. (How
 > > long will the mirrors actually provide the 2017 binary packages?)
 >
 > They are gone as soon as 2018 gets released.
 >
 > Users can only install from an ISO image unless archives stay
 > somewhere on historic tug archive.

The most obvious solution is to use the TeX Live packages provided by
CentOS itself.  The majority of TeX users isn't aware of the latest
stuff anyway and just do what's described in the books, which are not
up-to-date either.  However, people can still download TL-2017 ISO
images from

  ftp://ftp.tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/

if desired as you already mentioned.  I can't speak for Karl, who is
maintaining the server, but I can't imagine that anything will be
removed during this millenium.

Furthermore, though it's a pity that important programs/libraries are
not kept up-to-date in CentOS, the long term (10 years) support is
great if your main intent is to host virtual machines.  This is why I
installed CentOS 7 on the new machine I bought last year.  CentOS is
not my favorite system but it's fine in this case.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de