[tex-live] dtx and ins files with luatex

Javier Bezos listas at tex-tipografia.com
Sun Sep 24 08:19:30 CEST 2017

Karl,

> Hi Javier - luatex is amazingly powerful = not secure.  Please don't
> require it merely to unpack a dtx.  That's not a good precedent for a
> core package like babel to be setting.

Actually I was thinking of titlesec, enumitem, colorspace,
etc., which are currently distributed unpacked as tex/sty.
I was trying to pack them with the docstrip mechanism,
but it's a nightmare.

But yes, I was also having babel in mind. I don't like the
dtx/ins mechanism (and I've never liked it), which I'm
using in babel mainly because it's a core package.

babel.pdf is now typeset with lualatex. It's a multilingual
package, and there is a need to show examples in several
scripts (currently there is one in Cyrillic, but I intend
to add Arabic, Hebrew, and Devanagari, amongst others).

But for the moment, I'll stick to dtx/ins with docstrip.

Javier