[tex-live] behaviour of kpsewhich on case-insensitive mac system

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 11:35:25 CEST 2017

> Am Tue, 19 Sep 2017 08:04:03 +0900 schrieb Akira Kakuto:
>
> >> Included images are the greatest problem. If I get a document
> >> created on Windows, it rarely works on my Linux computer and
> >> I have to fix names in \input and \includegraphics.
> >
> > Sorry for the incompatibility with other platforms.
> > However, I will not change the present behaviors
> > on windows.
>
> I would really like to have is a way to find out the correct casing
> without having to look at the file itself. E.g. if I do
>
>  kpsewhich EXAMPLE-IMAGE-A.PNG
>   or in a document
>  \includegraphics{EXAMPLE-IMAGE-A.PNG}
>
> then every data I get back says that I used the correct casing: On
> the terminal and in the log I only see uppercase:
> d:/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mwe/EXAMPLE-IMAGE-A.PNG
> <use EXAMPLE-IMAGE-A.PNG>
>
> and when I then copy the code in some answer I get complains ;-(.
>
> Couldn't there be some "case-debugging-mode"?

It is not easy. ls-R is (usually) case sensitive, it is case sensitive even
on OS/2 with case insensitive file system. In this case, if the file is
looked up in ls-R, kpsewhich is case sensitive. The problem is that the
file system does not return the correct file name

On Mac:
"ls" shows that the directory contains  README.md
"cat readme.md" displays the contents of the file
"ls readme.md" returns readme.md, not README.md

On Windows 7 with NTFS:
"dir" shows that the directory contains README.md
"cat readme.md" displays the contents of the file
"dir readme.md" reports the correct file name README.md (I have tried "dir
Readme.MD" and again got the correct file name).

Thus it depends, it may or may not be possible.

> --
> Ulrike Fischer
> http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

Zdeněk Wagner