[tex-live] behaviour of kpsewhich on case-insensitive mac system

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Mon Sep 18 18:18:28 CEST 2017

Hi,

I have a question,

$ kpsewhich example-image-A.pdf

$ kpsewhich example-image-a.pdf
/usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mwe/example-image-a.pdf

But I am on a case-insensitive file system:

$ touch foo

$ mv foo Foo

$ rm foo

$ ls Foo
ls: Foo: No such file or directory

I was wondering why an `\includegraphics{example-image-A}` failed
(which I got from some post on tex.sx) and I surmise from the above
that this has possibly to do with kpsewhich or at least with the way
pdftex finds files.

I guess the rationale is that if kpsewhich were to be
case-insensitive on OSes with case insensitive file systems,
TeX documents would more easily behave differently on different
systems ?

Best

Jean-François