[tex-live] betterbib

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Oct 13 00:56:18 CEST 2017

Hi Nico - thanks for writing.

    https://github.com/nschloe/betterbib

First, it needs to be available through CTAN. (ctan.org/upload)

Also, it needs to be self-locating, though I'm not sure if you need to
do anything special for this with Python.

That is, the installation on TL would be

  /arbitrary/tlroot/bin/PLATFORM/betterbib
  -> ../../texmf-dist/scripts/betterbib/betterbib.py

with the subsidiary .py files installed in that same
../texmf-dist/scripts/betterbib/ dir. So the main .py file needs to
find them there, at runtime.

In particular, it must not be required to run Python's usual setup.py
(which I see in your repo) at any point, since the paths are not known.

For an existing example of multi-file python script in TL, see the
pythontex package. (I hope it works.)

Best,
Karl