[tex-live] Problem with cp1251

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 11:24:09 CET 2017

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:37:07AM +0300, Victor Krym wrote:
> > Hello, Siep!
> >
> > TeXLive  started to work after reinstallation. Yet it does not recognize
> > Russian characters.
> > What is the correct header? I use
> >
> > \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
> > \usepackage[cp1251]{inputenc}
> > \usepackage[russian]{babel}
> > \usepackage{amsmath,amssymb}
> > \usepackage{graphicx}
>
> I am no expert in cyrillic typesetting, but see e.g.
>
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/816/cyrillic-in-latex

It strongly depends on your environment, you must know what is the input
encoding. If the decision is up to you, I would stronly suggest to use
either XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX with input un UTF-8, fonts selected by the
fontenc package and I would prefer polyglossia to babel. I wrote an article
in Hindi with short texts in several languages. It used \usepackage{style}
and my style.sty contained:

\RequirePackage{fontspec,polyglossia,zwtools,zwpoetry}
\setdefaultlanguage{hindi}
\setotherlanguages{czech,english,greek,russian}
\setmainfont[Ligatures=TeX,Scale=1.1]{TeX Gyre Pagella}
\newfontfamily\hindifont[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=devanagarinumerals]{FreeSans}
\newfontfamily\greekfont[Scale=1.25]{EB Garamond}
\newfontfamily\russianfont[Scale=1.25]{EB Garamond}

> --
> Siep Kroonenberg

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz