[tex-live] why is VT (ascii 11) apparently "printable" with pdftex?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Nov 7 00:38:16 CET 2017

    One can use -8bit option, then all are printable, the question is why
    is VT printable by default ?

It seems Thomas Esser suggested making VT printable by default, along
with HT FF SP, back in 2004. That seems to be when we invented
cp227.tcx (read from fmtutil.cnf). I think he just figured vertical tab
should be printable if horizontal tab was, but I don't really know.

At any rate, I'm not inclined to change it again at this late date. -k