[tex-live] Comments on asy in the x86_64 2017 pretest binary

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed May 24 22:57:00 CEST 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 07:57:23PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

> > Would you be willing to try to recompile asymptote without some of
> > those dependencies and check whether that's indeed the case? It's
> > quite possible that slower runtime is caused by asymptote being
> > compiled with an ancient non-C++11 compiler.
> >

> On the machine with gcc-7.1 that will be difficult (I don't use
> formal package management), I'll have a look.

Well, it turned out to be difficult, but not for the reason I
expected.  I can use the included gc (same version, I think, but
static lib) and disable fftw, gsl, sigsegv.  Doing that, it still
runs my cylinder test in 13 seconds.

The difficult part is doing without freeglut (in the upstream
version of asymptote).  The configure script looks for GL/glut.h so
I hid that (i.e. renamed it to glut.h.hidden).  But configure then
tests for glutMainLoop in -lglut, and finds it.  So I hid
libglut.so.3.10.0.  After that it told me it was building without
freeglut, but it then errored with

glrender.cc:428:21 error 'glutGetWindow' was not declared in this
scope

Well, duh - that is defined in a freeglut header.

So my current status: adding fftw, gsl, sigsegv doesn't actually
make a difference.  And I can't build without freeglut.

ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment