[tex-live] Initial installing ptex package reports errors

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon May 1 09:19:13 CEST 2017

Dear Shun,

> # tlmgr install ptex
[...]
> This bug can be fixed by adding texlive local bin directory to PATH env:
> # export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2017/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH

How did you invoke tlmgr? The above prompt
	# tlmgr ...
assumes that tlmgr is in the PATH, so should be also ptex.

If you invoked tlmgr with
	$ /usr/local/texlive/2017/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr install ptex
then, no, sorry, this does not work.

> However, I'm a `tlmgr path add` user.  So, I'm finding another solutions.

Yes, because then both tlmgr and ptex are in the PATH.

> I think TLUtils::which should also search texlive local directory
> ($Master/bin/$arch), but, I understand the fixing affects widely, too.

No, it should *not*. The current method is the correct one, because:
fmtutil rebuilds the engines by calling
	$engine $args
thus, if $engine is *not* in the PATH, it will not work.
Also, we need to make sure that kpsewhich and other bin programs
are in the PATH in the *correct* version to get the correct files.

> Is there anyone having the best solution?

Yes, either add the TL bin directory to the PATH, or do tlmgr path add,
these are the only solutions.

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer