[tex-live] Please default \pdftrailerid{} to SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH if exported

Chris Lamb lamby at debian.org
Tue Jun 27 19:46:26 CEST 2017

Hi tex-live,

Please consider defaulting the \pdftrailerid macro to the value of
SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH if this is exported in the environment.

Whilst we can get a reproducible PDF output in some situations, the
ordering of the elements in these IDs varies. For example:

This varies depending on the *path* from which you are building,
presumably due to the default pdftrailerid being seeded from the
full path name.

Using SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH would make sense here as it the old behaviour
is unchanged. Another alternative could be to set the default to the
empty string if SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH is exported.

I believe this is the code that actually prints these tokens:

(I would provide a patch but my WEB is very very rusty...)

Best wishes,

     : :'  :     Chris Lamb, Debian Project Leader
     `. `'`      lamby at debian.org / chris-lamb.co.uk