[tex-live] Bug in TexLive installer

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Wed Jan 18 10:28:48 CET 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 03:02:30AM +0000, hz hzmonte wrote:

> I am not able to re-produce the perl524.dll error.  The behavior of install-tl-windows.bat is unable.  My first try this evening led to a command window as attached screenshot - "perl.exe encountered a problem".  My second try led me to the installation GUI before giving me "perl.exe encountered a problem". Subsequent tries led to the command window directly.  I already disabled my anti-virus program, by the way.

The problem MAY be with the graphical module of Perl. In that case,
you may have better luck with the text mode installer: in a command
prompt, go to the directory where you unpacked the installer, and
then type:

install-tl-windows.bat -gui text

If you get again the error window with `perl.exe has encountered a
problem' then click on `click here' and make another screenshot.
Sometimes it contains useful information.

Another two remarks:

1. Why did you unpack under c:\program files\TexLive? The place
where you unpack has nothing to do with the place where you install,
and picking the same place may lead to problems. And picking a
directory with spaces in its path may cause problems with some
third-party scripts.

2. The installer does not receive a lot of testing under XP any
more.

--
Siep Kroonenberg