[tex-live] texlive guide entry for 2014

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 12:35:42 CET 2017

Can someone confirm that since TL2014 there is no need
> on Unix-like systems to prepare beforehand .xbb
> files for graphics inclusion of .png, .jpeg, ...,
> when doing latex+dvipdfmx or platex+dvipdfmx ?

Not sure when it was added but I can confirm that dvipdfmx.def calls out to
extractbb now.

That said there is nothing dvipdfmx specific about that and no reason why a
document that works with
\usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphicx} should fail with the default [dvips] option
with

! LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in zzz.jpg (no BoundingBox).

I should make dvips.def try to make (and use) a .xbb file with extractbb
before giving up
with that message, as done in dvipdfmx.def.

David