[tex-live] mvorigin option in (x)dvipdfmx

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 22:10:23 CET 2017

On 27 February 2017 at 21:02, Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:
> Dear David,
>
>> If metapost generated EPS are included, the bounding box offsets are
>> not propagated unless the mvorigin option is passed through to
>> xdvipdfmx.
>

> Please use the .mps suffix for MetaPost-generated eps 'without' --mvorigin
> option.
> MetaPost-generated eps:
>   suffix .mps ---> should not use --mvorigin option
>   otherwise  ---> should use --mvorigin option
>
> Best,
> Akira

hi, yes I see that's the documented behaviour but I'm trying to
understand the issue?
Why make the user do either of those things? Can't I just detect the
negative coordinates
in xetex.def and shift the image in to place if the driver is going to
mis-place it?

If I get an eps file from somewhere why should I know it was generated
by metapost
and why should iIexpect that

\fbox{includegraphics{file.eps}}

fails to put the image in the box with xetex when it does with latex+dvips?

What I can't tell looking at the code comments is if it is really an
issue with metapost generated files
(which I can not detect in xetex.def) or if it is an issue with any
eps with negative coordinates in the bounding box
(for which I could add translate in the tex macros if that is needed.

David