[tex-live] Recommendations for viewer_md

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:46:21 CET 2017

On 16 February 2017 at 23:33, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> It's unclear to me that .html is preferable to simply outputting the .md
> file. Personally, I'd much rather see the plain-text md in my terminal
> than have to switch over to a browser (or whatever) just for the sake of
> some prettification.
>
> Other people feel differently, no doubt. That's why there are
> approximately one zillion ways people can customize their texdoc
> viewers. Thus, I plan to make no changes to texdoc in this regard.
> Happy viewing :). -k

Not arguing for a change really it's clearly your call but I suggested
it mainly because
of examples where with my terminal at least the resulting file wasn't
readable due to font
issues (not that I can read Japanese anyway but I'd have a better
chance if the characters are not all
missing glyph boxes:-) if it was just a matter of reading text while
skimming over
visible markdown syntax it would be less of an issue.

texdoc drops to plain text relatively infrequently: the "expected" behaviour
(for at least the things I ever use it for) is to open a pdf viewer
so opening a pdf viewer (or failing that a browser) seems rather more natural
than showing plain text in this context.

But as I say this is just idle chatter I'm not offering to to any work
or suggesting that
you should unless you want to:-)

David