[tex-live] tl17 pretest init

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Apr 21 22:47:47 CEST 2017

On 2017-04-21 at 15:01:27 +0100, Philip Taylor wrote:

 > Norbert Preining wrote:
 >
 > > PLease report to the Windows port maintainers of Perl/Tk. This is
 > > nothing I can infuence.
 >
 > Are you able to confirm that the same scenario elaborated in a
 > non-Windows context results in a successful cancellation at the
 > first attempt ?  Such confirmation, if available, would make such
 > an error report more useful.

Hi Phil,
a few days ago you said that you can abort any process immediately on
Windows.  Today I had to remove a few files and directories at work
using the Windows Exploder.

A dialog box popped up saying "preparing for deletion...".  A quarter
of an hour later I pressed the [cancel] button.  Nothing happened.
Then I pressed the cancel button in the title bar.  No immediate
response either.

A few minutes later the message changed to "aborting...".  After the
lunch break there was still the same message and I had to shut down
the system with brute force.  Removing the stuff with Cygwin took only
a few seconds.

I mention this because I encountered this problem just a few days
after you said that such things work perfectly on Windows.  And I
encounter such or similar problems every day.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de